Comforting Leftover Ham and Split Pea Soup

What's the best part of cooking a ham? Leftovers and more specifically ham soup. Like do people cook ham without making soup?? It's a mystery to me.

file.jpeg
IMG_0285[1].JPG

Never throw out the ham bone it's pure gold. I have made a couple different versions over the past few years. I like this one the best because it quicker because you make the stock while also cooking the split peas and cuts cooking time down by about an hour.

IMG_0305[1].JPG

Comfort food at it's finest. The split peas give the soup a creamy consistent that is super delicious. You do not need to add any kind of dairy to this soup, yet it gives the taste of a cream based soup.  I could write a short fiction novel about my love for soup. In the winter my diet is 80 percent soup ( the other 20 percent is the bread I eat with the soup).

Comforting Leftover Ham and Split Pea Soup

Ingredients

3 tablespoons of olive oil

1 large onion

3 stalks of celery (diced)

3 carrot sticks (diced)

3 cloves of garlic

1 tablespoon of thyme

2 dried bay leaves

1 bag of split peas

2 quarts (4 cups) of water **

Freshly ground salt and pepper

Method

1. Add all vegetables and thyme, except for the garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.

2. Add hambone, split peas, bay leaves, water and if you have any leftover ham throw it in there. Bring  soup to a simmer and cook for about hour until the soup has thickened and the peas are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Take the hambone out trim off any meat from the bone using your hands and throw it back into the soup. Cook for 5 more minutes.

4. Serve hot hopefully with some warm bread and butter.

Thanks for reading,

Sarah