You know who has been putting in work in 2018?
They are incredibly good for you an incredible source or iron and well as being a complex carbohydrates.
"In addition to providing slow burning complex carbohydrates, lentils can increase your energy by replenishing your iron stores. Particularly for menstruating women, who are more at risk for iron deficiency, boosting iron stores with lentils is a good idea—especially because, unlike red meat, another source of iron, lentils are not rich in fat and calories. Iron is an integral component of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen from the lungs to all body cells, and is also part of key enzyme systems for energy production and metabolism."
I make this recipe often because it's a healthy comfort food that can varied by adding lots of different veggies.
This is an awesome meal to make along side basmati rice, or sometimes I eat it by itself as more of a soup. Whenever I make this recipe I freeze it in small little containers and then when I want one for lunch I just put it in the fridge overnight and boom life is good because I don't have to pack my lunch ( because that is my least favorite thing to do)
Veggie Lentil coconut curry
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 potatoes cubed
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 or 2 tsp of red pepper flakes ( depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of dried red lentils ( you can use other other lentils adjust the cooking time accordingly)
- 3 cups of water
- 1 can of coconut milk
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Heat medium sized saucepan with olive oil. Once hot add all vegetables except for the garlic, and cook of medium high heat for 5 minutes. Add garlic and all spices and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Then add lentils, coconut milk and water. Reduce heat to low and cook for 35 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Serve with rice and top with cilantro or green onion.
Thanks for reading,