Happy Galentines Day! Oh you don't know what Galentines Day is? Well it's the (fictional) yet very important holiday invented by Leslie Knope on Parks and Rec. Where she nominates February 13th as Galentines day where "Ladies to celebrate Ladies".
Pretty awesome I think. So awesome it deserves awesome sugar cookies.
This recipe is my grandma's and it's the best and super simple to put together, with less than 10 ingredients
Simple Valentines Day Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/2 of white sugar
- 1 egg yolk slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Icing Sugar, Water and Pink or Red Food Colouring
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir Flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cream butter with a stand mixer. Add sugar and beaten egg, mix well.
- Add dry ingredients alternatively with milk and vanilla to the butter sugar mixture.
- Chill dough thoroughly ( approx 2 hours but can be made an refrigerated up to two days)
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface
- Cut with adorable heart shaped cookie cutters.
- Baked on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Be careful to watch the cookies so they do not over cook. Set cookies on a cooling rack.
- Wait until cookies are cooled completely. Mix icing sugar and water until the consistency of white glue ( I know this seems very nonspecific but sometimes you just gotta listen to how your mom tells you she used to make it). Add one or two drops of food coloring and mix completely. Using an icing spreader, spread icing over the surface of the cookie and allow them to dry.
Thanks for reading,