Somedays you wake up and you have such a specific craving of something that you're like dang I gotta create this for real.
A week before this intense craving for baked beans, was because I had a full English breakfast, at a local restaurant and for me there is nothing better than a full savory breakfast. It was so good the sausage, broiled tomatoes, eggs, toast an of course baked beans.
So the next weekend I was like I needed some baked beans in my life. However I only had chickpeas and I wanted to make them relatively quick. So at that moment my quick baked beans were born. Ok so they aren't actually baked but they have the same taste as baked beans so don't sue me England.
Also yes very aware this is NOT a full English but sometimes you gotta make do with what you have!
Chickpea Baked Beans
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic (diced)
- 3 slices of bacon (cut into small peices)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of your fav barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp of yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- Add butter to medium stock pot on medium low. Add onion, garlic and bacon and cook for about 7 minutes or until bacon is fully cooked. Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the chick peas). Cook for 15 to 20 minutes of simmer until sauce has thickened.
- Add chickpeas and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Eat by themself or do it up right with an awesome breaky
Thanks for reading,