Okay so despite what impression you have of how often I cook I have a slight problem with skip the dishes. Specifically because I can get falafels delivered directly to my office and it's fantastic (and too expensive).
I have made different chickpea fritter-like things for my lunch many times, but I wanted to make the real deal. This recipe gives you a somewhat crunchy outer layer , even though it's baked and not fried.
I decided to use the leftover tangy dill sauce I made last week from my potato latke recipe. It was so good and did my version of a quick pickle with some red onion, cloves and apple cider vinegar.
Baked Falfael Pitas with Pickled Onions and Dill Sauce
- 2 cans of chickpeas ( drained and rinsed thoroughly)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 red onion roughly chopped
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 cup of chopped flat leaf parsley
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- Pitas with pockets
- Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cups of thinly sliced red onion
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
Tangy Dill Sauce
- 1/3 cup of dill (chopped)
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and mix together until combined and somewhat smooth. If you prefer a chunkier falfael feel free to pulse it a couple times so it is less smooth.
- Then add flour and baking powder and pulse a few times.
- Using an icecream scooper ( or your hands) place them on a lined cookie sheet with parchment paper. Then slightly press down with your fingers so it's shaped like a small disc or cookie.
- Place in oven and cook for 40 minutes. Flipping half way through the time. If you want it to get a little more crispy feel free to leave it in there for an extra five minutes.
- During that time make your dill sauce, so simply combine ingredients together and set in the fridge until everything else is done.
- Make the quick pickled onions by combining ingredients in a small bowl and set on the counter until everything else is done.
- During the last few minutes put you pita into the oven to warm it up.
- Split pita in half and stuff with two to three falafels, add a generous amount of dill sauce, tomatoes, hot sauce, pickled onions.
Thanks for reading,