Coffee cake and muffins are a natural marriage because everyone loves both. It's a level 9 love match possibly rivaling chocolate and hazelnuts (okay prob not but whatever)
The people I work with are great because they constantly tell me how much they love what I bring in. This could be because they love it or they are hungry, either one is fine with me. These muffins were a hit even though the batch I made this weekend MAY have been slightly overcooked... *angel emoji*. Solution just heat them up a bit and add some butter and its a religious experience.
Coffee Cake Sourdough Muffins
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sourdough starter (fed, see note)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (ground
- Mix the streusel topping first by combining flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl, then rubbing the cold butter in with your fingers until the mixture is crumbly and sticks together if you press it between your fingers. You may use a mixer if you wish.
- Set crumbs aside.
- To make the muffins, place the sourdough starter in a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into muffin liner ( I recommend buttering the liner a bit so it doesn't stick. Smooth top and sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over the batter.
- Let the muffins rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake at 375 F for about 25- 27 minutes
- Remove, cool and enjoy.
Recipe inspired by: https://www.thespruce.com/recipes-using-sourdough-starter-1446644
Thanks for reading,