IT'S SUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMA TIME. Okay not technically but its above 20 degrees, which means the following things:
1. You need a new delicious drinks ( wow that's crazy you're obviously in the right place)
2. Ice cream consumption increases by 83%
With the knowledge of what summer is weather brings, means I need to help out with number one on the list, I WILL also eat icecream with you because I'm a very giving person.
This recipe was inspired by an abundance of rhubarb in my backyard. Rhubarb is great for pies, muffins, tarts, jams and so on. All of which are ah-mazing. However I wanted to step it up and make some delish fruity drink that is perfect for summer.
The first part of this recipe is making the simple syrup. Which is pretty straight forward, and it should last you a pretty good amount of time. Once that's done you are good as gold.
This drink is fantastic because it's the perfect mix of sweet, tart and fizz. In the summer this the exact drink I want.
Strawberry Rhubarb Refresher
Strawberry Rhubarb Simply Syrup
- 2 1/2 cups of Rhubarb chopped into half inch pieces
- 1 cup of strawberries fresh or frozen ( I used frozen Ontario strawberries from last season)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 1/2 of white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon ( with one slice cut off)
- Club Soda
- Wine (optional read below)
- Add chopped rhubarb, strawberries and water into a medium sized saucepan.
- Cook medium high heat until mixture comes to a slight boil, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Using a sieve strain mixture through, stirring to get all the moisture out of until you are left with a pulp. Discard the pulp.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and add sugar. Cook medium low, for five minutes or so, stirring occasionally until all the sugar has dissolved. Take off heat and let cool to room temp.
- Once syrup has cooled down transfer to a mason jar or sealed container and put in fridge.
1. Add syrup, start of with a few glugs and then you can add more after if you want it sweeter. Cut one slice of the lemon, set aside. Add the juice of the lemon, the ice and the club soda. Garnish with lemon slice.
2. Alternatively for an alcoholic version do a 50/50 split of club soda to your favorite white wine.
3. Start enjoying your summer
Thanks for reading,